Tuesday, December 21, 2010

my bodice will show through the midriff section

One of the longer meta-conversations, and the closest I think readers have ever come to a referendum. 

The bit about Alan trying to fatten her up is an intermittent theme. 


Ellen December 21, 2010 at 12:08 pm
I LOVE this dress, but it is not for me because my bodice will show through the midriff section, making me look VERY FAT.
I do not like to show off my extra 5 lbs, and hope that I will be able to stay away from the sweets this weekend, though Alan is getting me GODIVA as usual. I really think he LIKES me to be fat so that all the men will stop staring at me.
Right now, the manageing partner just came in and was doing nothing but staring at me. Why, I do not know, b/c he is married and is BALD.
I hope that Alan will get me a ring so that I can be through with this work stuff. I want to move to Long Island and get a HOUSE.
SuzyQ December 21, 2010 at 12:15 pm
I hope this post is meant to be a joke. I don’t even know where to begin with responding to this. I hope Alan knows that you are planning to quit working as soon as you get engaged.
stc December 21, 2010 at 12:26 pm
So very very tired of Ellen and Alan.
lawyerette December 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm
SuzyQ – I think we’ve pretty much established that this poster is really a man.
SuzyQ December 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm
lawyerette – thanks – I didn’t see that discussion until I just now read through yesterday’s discussion (I was at a cle yesterday). i will ignore Ellen and Alan since it’s not worth my time.
anon in chicago December 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm
a man that misunderstands the meaning of the word “bodice” (hint: it isn’t a body part)
michelle December 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm
hey Kat, is there any way to block individual posters for a reader? This stuff is annoying.
MC December 21, 2010 at 1:09 pm
I vote no blocking! sometimes Allan/Ellen makes me laugh.
Bonnie December 21, 2010 at 1:14 pm
The posts are funny. I don’t get the random capitalized words though.
K December 21, 2010 at 1:32 pm
This. Our own little pet troll.
Ses December 21, 2010 at 1:44 pm
This. But I also kind of stand by my “Ellen = test of an AI program” theory.
Louise, who is often a kind voice of reason, briefly made me feel bad for our teasing and accusations of trolling, but this latest post doesn’t really call for generous reading.
Anonymous December 21, 2010 at 2:05 pm
I think it’s the same Ellen who got kicked off as a commenter on the ABA news site.
A December 21, 2010 at 2:15 pm
ugggh, K is back and telling others what to do. How shocking.
anonymous December 21, 2010 at 2:36 pm
A – given K’s innocuous comment, that seems a little over-the-top rude. A = Alan getting defensive about his trolling?
Anon December 21, 2010 at 6:00 pm
It could be Alan. Or it could be that a small minority of people here seem to like to “pick people” to harp on and refuse to leave them alone. I guess they are trying to make it as miserable as possible for the people they choose to exile so those people never come back?
Anon December 21, 2010 at 6:01 pm
Oh, and I agree with Ses. I think it’s some sort of computer. Although, the vaguely sexual undertones in all of his/her posts do make me question that theory sometimes.
Midori December 21, 2010 at 2:01 pm
Me too! Ellen makes me giggle. The misapplied and misunderstood stereotypes are a very special type of trolling.
E December 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm
I really don’t mind. Just seems like someone is wasting his or her time for a completely mysterious reason, but to each his/her own.
For a while I was sympathetic to the “oh, why are we being so mean to her? maybe English isn’t her first language?” type posts, but (among many good arguments), the one that really gets me is that Ellen is a frequent reader of comments here but never responds to any of these discussions, which any genuine poster would almost certainly do.
Anonymous December 21, 2010 at 1:38 pm
No blocking. He’s not offensive and I find him quite amusing. If we start blocking one poster that annoys one or two people, where do we draw the line? Personally, I find many posts on this blog so whiney and don’t talk down to me, that I just read through and think “blech.” But many of you enjoy these posts and have heated discussions about the rudeness of those of us that wear perfume, or think a 4″ heel is fine at the office. Where will you draw the line? One mans annoyance is another’s amusement.
JAS December 21, 2010 at 1:53 pm
I agree with no blocking for all the reasons those above listed. However, if Kat does want to start blocking people, can she please start with the bullies (who outright insult people or call them names) and the self-appointed police (who pile on to tell others what is and is not an appropriate way to express themselves, and/or what is or is not an appropriate topic for the forum).
If Ellen/Alan is a troll, by responding at all we are only giving him/her what they want. If it is an AI experiment (which does seem possible) we are just giving assistance in developing it to who-knows-what scientist. And, if they are a real person who simply has an odd way of expressing themself, and has some viewpoints that are offputting to some, then there is some needless unkindness going on.
Lyssa December 21, 2010 at 3:20 pm
I tend to agree with Anonymous (1:38), but, on similar notes to JAS’s statement about insults, I’d love for there to be some way to police anonymous posters- there are some good reasons for them (when we ask about sensitive subjects), but some people just use them to hide behind while they insult.
Not sure that I have a solution, there, I guess.
2L NYC December 21, 2010 at 2:03 pm
I agree with this and the pet troll sentiment. I almost look forward to dear Elan’s posts!
academicsocialite December 21, 2010 at 2:38 pm
This.
Oh please, pretty please, can we keep him? I’ve always wanted a little pet troll, and this is just in time for the holidays! I promise not to bait him- and can we please collectively agree to call him Elan from now on?
Hysterical.
Ru December 21, 2010 at 3:06 pm
I love Corporettes – y’all are so FUNNY (ha, see what I did there???).
eg December 21, 2010 at 5:37 pm
Too bad you couldn’t work a FOOEY in there, Ru!


Read more: http://corporette.com/2010/12/21/tuesdays-tps-report-pleated-ponte-knit-sheath-dress/#ixzz1sGCbEL20

No comments:

Post a Comment