Monday, July 16, 2012

for NO compennseation?

This tiny plotline about the alumni speaking invitation faithfully follows the Ellen narrative pattern: (i) possibility raised, (ii) very subtle turning point that happens off camera, (iii) possibility closed. This synopsis applies to almost everything Ellen has ever told us about, including all of her dating/relationship stories and most developments having to do with her career. Almost without fail, the situation at the end of a story is the same as it was before, with the event or person at issue eliminated. Only Alan has lived on even as an idea.




Ellen July 16, 2012 at 10:47 am
Do NOT freak out! I did NOT have the right attitude the first time, when I was takeing BOTH the DC and the NY Bar’s, but got VERY focussed on the NY bar when the manageing partner said I could work for him if I passed it. So I gave up all of every thing execept studying, so I passed in the WINTER time.
Now, I have been aksed back to school to talk to the 3L’s and act as a MENTOR, but they said they will NOT pay for me to travel back there. I do NOT nt to spend $300 for an AMTRAK ticket NOR do $200 for a hotel room just to speak for 1 hour to 3L’s about workeing in NYC. FOOEY!
For $500, I can have a GREAT shoppeing trip to Lord and Taylor, so I told them FORGET IT this MORNING.
What NERVE they have! THEY WANT ME!!! Akseing ME to come ALL the way to DC on my own, stay OVER on my own, and speak, on my own, for NO compennseation? DOUBEL FOOEY!


Read more: http://corporette.com/2012/07/16/splurge-mondays-tps-report-mimi-inverted-pleat-dress/#ixzz20nZDnBun


UPDATE: Thank's very much to freinds on the websight who provided perspective on how realistic Ellen's claims are here. This is one of the few stories on which norms from the outside world can be useful, especially since we actually know which law school she's talking about. If anyone has more to add, then by all means. 

ELLENWatch July 16, 2012 at 11:41 am
If anyone with knowledge of George Washington University Law School can comment on the plausibility of this story I would greatly appreciate it. I can’t find anything on the website soliciting alumni speakers as a general matter, leaving me to wonder whether they do indeed WANT Ellen specifically. (If she exists.)
karenpadi July 16, 2012 at 12:46 pm
I don’t know about GWU, but I have been invited by my alma mater to talk on a panel to students about the bar or networking or what makes a successful summer clerk. Usually the coordinator emails me via work or LinkedIn (so it’s not a public announcement). If I decline, I think they just find someone else, no biggie. But my firm sponsors a bunch of events for the school and they are just down the street.
I think this Ellen post is plausible.
GW Law July 16, 2012 at 12:49 pm
I 5 years out of GW Law, and they have never contacted me to speak or serve as a mentor in any capacity — I’m not in NYC but I’m in another non-DC city. When I was in school, we did not have alum mentors, nor do I recall alum speaking to us. Could have changed… but still… not especially plausible.
Also, I’ve lost track of how long Ellen has been PRACETICING law but thinking of her as my “classmate” has me laughing.
GW Law July 16, 2012 at 12:52 pm
And I am connected to GW via LinkedIn, etc… they call me frequently enough (at the office) to ask about donations, but not to “mentor” or speak.
E. July 16, 2012 at 12:55 pm
It’s implausible that she took both the DC and NY bar at the same time. Apart from the fact that unless she can bilocate it would have been physically impossible, there’s no reason to take the DC bar if you take another state because you can waive into DC from any state.
Elysian July 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm
My thoughts exactly. People actually take the DC bar? Doubtful.
JessBee July 16, 2012 at 1:26 pm
Except that waiving in can take up to a year, as I recall, so folks who actually need to be licensed in DC right away may take the DC bar to speed the process. That’s so rare, though, that you’re probably right.
Bluejay July 16, 2012 at 1:33 pm
@JessBee – it’s the C&F that takes so long, and it takes just as long if you take the bar. A couple of my coworkers took the DC bar because they didn’t need to be licensed anywhere else and it still took 7 or 8 months.


Read more: http://corporette.com/2012/07/16/splurge-mondays-tps-report-mimi-inverted-pleat-dress/#ixzz20t412iSr

No comments:

Post a Comment