Friday, December 14, 2012

then who is typeing this, then?

Reaching for the META tag once more. This thread began with KansasAnalyst posting detailed advice in response to Ellen's many recent post's about whether/how much to buy into partnership at her firm. KA, the wonderful kindness in doing this is not diminished at all by the fact that Ellen is not necessarily a real person. Corporette badge to you, "joke" or no. (There's also, obviously, the ELLENWatch badge, but I understand if that isn't as meaningful.) 

Anne Shirley and e_pontellier, I'm not so sure that the main post (directly below) is fake. All the specifics are consistent with the info already provided. "Fake" is always relative when talking about Ellen, but I don't see this as any clear departure from whomever has been steering the ship lately. It's true that her posts often range across many topics, but the ones about partnership have been relatively focused. This is big biz for her! Finally, the ultimate tautology ("how can I be a fake commenter on the internet when I'm sitting here commenting on the internet?!") was inaugurated on the occasion of Ellen's getting kicked off the ABA site, (scroll to the bottom--this was 2008) and apparently if it ain't broke....

  • Ellen :
    Wow! Thank you SOOOOO much for this insight!
    Unfortuneately, I do NOT know all the answer’s to these question’s JUST yet, but I am going to print out and show them to my dad. For #1 Frank prepare’s the finanecial statements with a CPA firm who’s name I do not have handy, but there’s a guy who comes around every year to do the taxes too. (He is always sweateing and sometime’s asks me where the pantry is b/c we have cold soda’s there).
    For #2, we get salaries and I think the partner’s get a draw and then a profit shareing that they have to pay taxe’s on. Roberta and Dad think I should negotieate to get a share of my own business, but I do not think the manageing partner is goieing to be happy if we ask for that, personaeally.
    For #3, I have to ask my dad. He says I am not getting alot in my 401K, but I think he said it is insured and exempt from taxes. My dad makes all my investment’s for me so he should tell me this.
    For #4, I am only goieing to be a JUNIOR partner, and I do not know what kind of vote I will get. No one has shown me anything yet, and that is why my dad keeps talking about do diliegeince.
    The manageing partner alway’s keeps everything closed to the vest, so I wonder if he is even goieing to share anything with me.
    Thank you again. It is great to know that I have good freind’s in the hive who know about these things. This way, I can tell my dad FOOEY when he asks if I shouldn’t get Alan involved here. He would NOT be of much help anyway, as he drink’s all the time. DOUBEL FOOEY!
    • KansasAnalyst :
      Ellen- if the managing partner won’t give you this information I would say DO NOT put any money in. If you wanted to invest in a company and they refused to provide you with their financial history, would you still give them money? I also spoke with my boss about this and he agreed. The partners may need some liquidity injected into the practice which is why they offered. Don’t take that the wrong way- I always am suspicious and assume the worst about deals. My boss has seen that happen before and the business closed down less than a year later.
      I think number crunching is fun so I would love to help. :)
  • cc :
    Do you know Ellen is a fake personality?
    • This is a complex situation, because a substantial minority of my readers do believe Ellen’s posts track at least somewhat with a real person’s real experience (http://ellenwatch.blogspot.com/2012/08/results-of-poll-2.html). Thus, on some level, her question might be genuine. The prospect of her emailing KansasAnalyst, however, is still 3-alarm for me.
      I will hold off blogging this until the immensely generous KA has had a chance to respond.
      Love,
      ELLENWatch
      • Anne Shirley :
        @EllenWatch- this Ellen above sounds like an imposter to me
      • e_pontellier :
        Ditto to Anne Shirley. ELLEN always comments about many different topics in her posts, and rarely stays on the same topic for more than one paragraph.
      • Cb :
        Maybe I’m naive but I kind of thought Ellen was real. Exxagerated but definitely a real person.
    • TBK :
      It’s funny, this is the first time I’ve seen Ellen respond directly to someone. It’s almost like she’s real…
    • Ellen :
      FOOEY! then who is typeing this, then?
      If I was a FAKE, then who is sitteing at the keyboard right now?
      The manageing partner (or Frank)? DOUBEL FOOEY! Of course not!
      They are both to busy stareing at my tuchus all day b/c I am very REAL!
      I can’t wait for our holiday party. Yay!
      • KansasAnalyst :
        I thought you were real… I hoped you were. @ Ellenwatch- Darn! I guess I didn’t get the joke? I just thought she was really funny but I didn’t know there were questions on if she was real or not..

No comments:

Post a Comment